Consider this a creative variation of a BLT sandwich.In this case I skipped the L (lettuce). I love fried green tomatoes with a spicy remoulade. Having purchased some , with a slab of hickory bacon , the creative juices were flowing.I posted about Fried Green tomatoes before. Paired with a sweet and spicy remoulade, this sandwich is full of tangy zip. So if you like fried green tomatoes and want an usual sandwich, try this . If you don’t eat bacon , try substituting turkey bacon instead. Enjoy.
Perfect Fried Green Tomatoes
4 green tomatoes
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with a few tsp of vinegar/lemon juice
( allow to sit for 5 minutes or more)
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup corn meal
1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Prep your station with a dish of buttermilk, a dish of
beaten egg, and a dish of corn meal .
- Mix 1 tsp of cayenne
and salt in the corn meal.
- Slice green tomatoes into 1/2
- Dip each slice first in buttermilk, then egg, then
dredge in cornmeal.
- Heat approx 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a fry pan.
- Fry tomato
slices until golden and crispy on each side.
- Drain finished pieces
on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with additional salt if desired.
- Set aside until assembly of sandwich.
Spicy Sweet Remoulade
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all ingredients and mix.
- Chill until ready to use.
Assembly of Sandwich
- Bread of choice ( Italian loaf, sandwich roll, kaiser roll, etc)
- 3 strips of crispy bacon for each sandwich
- 2-3 slices of fried green tomato
- Remoulade to spread
Spread Remoulade on each slice of bread. Place the fried green tomato slices. Top with bacon.