I like to call this Kentucky Pulled Pork. The recipe was given to me by a genuine Kentuckian, Mel Doerr. Now Mel is what I would like to call my spiritual adviser, who I have consulted with for years. His intuition and instinct are always been dead on, so naturally I trust his recipe. He gave me this recipe for a crock pot style slow cooked pulled pork ,handed down from his grandmother.What makes it true Kentucky Pulled Pork is that shot ( or two ) of Bourbon you are going to add.Yes sir, Bourbon! No need to slave over an open pit barbecue, turn on that crock pot this summer and save some electricity while staying cooler in the process. Mel also mentioned his coleslaw, but didn’t provide a formal recipe. The draw to his coleslaw was pineapple. Pineapple and Pork are always delicious. This recipe is really easy. Yes it takes approx two days with marination and cooking, but it’s worth it and wont cause you a lot anxiety in preparation. It practically cooks itself!
Kentucky Pulled Pork
*time preparation approx 2 days. 10 hours slow cooking.
- 6-8 lb Pork Butt or Shoulder *the butt is contained in the shoulder and has a bone. The whole shoulder is sold with the skin usually.
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dark Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 package Onion Soup Mix
- 1 shot or 2 of Kentucky Bourbon
- *liquid smoke optional
- Marinate all ingredients over night in a non reactive food grade container with lid.
- Place in Crock Pot with a little extra liquid (water) and set for 10 hours.I also added an optional few drops of liquid smoke toward the end of cooking.
- Serve with coleslaw.
Coleslaw With Pineapple
- 1 head of cabbage shredded
- 1/2-3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple with its syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 carrot grated
- Mix all ingredients together. Start with the 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise and add more as needed. You don’t want your slaw too runny.
- Adjust to taste
- Chill and let set for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator