So after along flight with connections a delays, there really is nothing like a home cooked meal. Chicago was cold , raining and bleak. My freezer was bare and Certain Someone was prepping to fly out later that evening.With turkey legs in the freezer , I decided to make us something satisfying and comforting as I decompressed and shaked off the jet lag and CS launched into his work week. My inspiration for this came from a New York Times article. I changed up my techniques and ingredients. In Vienna this past week I noticed a huge Asian influence from the diverse population. I have had some dubious Asian style style cuisines in my European travels, but everything I ate in Vienna was top rate. Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. Fresh chilies added liberally to my dishes gave a great sinus clearing and metabolism inducing kick. The Viennese embrace the exotic.
|Soy, Star Anise, Chili Braised Turkey Legs…A Centering Dish|
- 2- 4 Turkey legs
- 8 Star Anise
- 1 tablespoon Ginger minced ( I actually didn’t have ginger and substituted candied ginger minced)
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes or 1/8 cup fresh chopped onion
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3-4 dried chilies
- Preheat your oven to 375 F
- In a deep roasting pan add your turkey legs.
- Combine all your ingredients.
- Slow cook for 2 1/2 hours until tender turning/ basting at half hour intervals.