The recipe is simple and you just need some fresh hard fruit , peeled and cored, sugar, butter, cinnamon or star anise, and maybe a splash or rum or brandy. Be creative. And of course serve with ice cream or whipped cream to up the indulgence factor. Your guests will be amazed and it saves the terror of flipping over a whole Tarte Tatin.
Here is Gordon’s version
And here is my breakdown
|Individual Apple Tarte Tatin|
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- 2-3 large apples peeled, halved and cored
- 4-6 squares of puff pastry
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons Brandy or rum
- 4-6 whole pods of Star Anise
- Prep your apples by peeling, halving, and removing the inner core and stem. Squeeze with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a heavy stainless steel skillet melt butter and sugar carefully and slowly until its starts to caramelize and brown. Be careful not to burn from sugar. You can add a splash or rum or brandy to the caramel.
- Quickly stud each apple halve with star anise . Wrap each piece individually with puff pastry leaving the flat half free and exposed.
- Place each pastry wrapped halve in the skillet with the caramelized sugar face down.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar is optional.
- Arrange in pan, and place in oven. Bake until golden .
- Serve face up and with ice cream or whipped cream.