Being a November baby, my inner Scorpion awakens when presented with Falls bounty.Red Cabbage and apples are abundant. The ritual of prepping, turning on the oven , and awaiting the aromas wafting through the house just centers me. I’ve been working on a very Euro centric project these days that has me testing and creating all sorts of recipes, much to Certain Someones delight. It’s no secret Germans love their meat, and I strive to balance that with loads of veggies. One of his favorite is red cabbage. Rather than a traditional simmered cabbage, I wanted to preserve the beauty and take the flavor the up a notch. Roasted Red Cabbage with apples and balsamic glaze is not only beautiful to behold, but tickles the taste buds with the sweet and sour taste.Its so easy and perfect for the season. By the time you come home, undress, prep ,and pop it in the oven, you have an hour to kill while going through the mail, emails, having a cocktail, what have you and voila… a perfect aromatic side dish that will turn your boring leftovers into something vibrant. I paired this with slices of roasted stuffed pork butt I cooked over the weekend. It doesn’t get better than this.
- 1 head red cabbage cut into wedges
- 1 red onion thinly sliced into rounds
- 2-3 apples peeled and cored
- ½ cup balsamic glaze
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Peel outer leaves of red cabbage.
- Halve cabbage, remove inner core, and cut each half into four wedges.
- Place in large bowl.
- Slice red onion into rounds. Place in bowl with cabbage.
- Slice apples into wedges.Add to cabbage and onions.
- Add the balsamic glaze , sugar, olive not break up wedges so much.
- Place in a cast iron or roasting pan and bake for 50 – 1 hour.
Thanks for all the great entries for the Verizon Jet Pack Giveaway. There can only be one winner . The lucky person is Merlyn. I will contact you shortly on how to obtain your prize.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Wireless Midwest Savvy Gourmets program and have been provided with a wireless device and six months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product.