This is recipe that you can make many variations on. Here are my tips:
This would make a great Sunday Brunch Dish in which some components ( pico de gallo, sautéed peppers, can be made ahead to cut time.
The cornmeal cakes and eggs should be made closer to serving time.
Feel free to build upon topping with sour cream, more shredded cheese, chorizo, etc.
Use a microwave egg poacher dish, for quick, perfectly formed poached eggs.
|Huevos Old El Paso with Traditional Refried Beans|
- Corn Meal Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper diced fine
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Pico De Gallo
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- Kosher Salt to taste
- sautéed Peppers
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Red Pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste.
- 1 16 oz can Old El Paso Traditional Refried Beans
- 2 avocados
- 6 poached or sunny side up fried eggs
- 1 16 oz jar Old El Paso Thick and Chunky Salsa
- *Pats of Butter for spreading on corn meal cakes optional
- Seed and slice peppers into strips.
- In a small skillet, heat oil and on medium high heat saute peppers until softened.
- Toss peppers with salt, pepper, and minced parsley.
- Set Aside until plating.
- In a small sauce pan. Heat milk and butter, until butter is melted.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn meal, baking powder, egg, salt, jalapenos, cheese, and milk and butter mixture, until mixture holds shape.
- Turn out onto a clean surface and roll to about 1/2 inch in width.
- Take a round cookie cutter and cut out6 cakes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet to medium high.
- Drop corn cakes carefully into skillet and fry for 2- 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm in a warming oven at 200º
- In a small bowl, add quartered grape tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, onion, and salt. Toss to mix and set aside for plating.
- Heat the Old El Paso Refried Beans according to package instructions.
- Fry or poach your eggs to order.
- Peel and slice the avocado. Add some lime juice to prevent browning.
- On a plate, put a dollop of refried beans, add hot corn meal cake. Spread some butter on corn cake.
- Add a smear of Old El Paso Traditional Refried beans on top of buttered corn meal cake.
- Add the egg.
- Add A few assorted pepper slices ( green and red).
- Top with Pico de Gallo and Sliced Avocados and garnish plate with some.
- Serve with Old El Paso Thick and Chunky Salsa.
This is an endorsement of product from Old El Paso/ General Mills , in which I developed a few original recipes for compensation.
- The Best Ever Crock Pot Boston Baked Beans
- Spring Garlic Oil Poached Tuna with Cannellini and Fava Beans
- Sweet Potato and Pineapple Churros with Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread
- Salt Pork (Sidfläsk) and Onion Sauce…Classically Scandinavian Cuisine
- Green Hummus From Fresh Garbanzo Beans…MLLA11