I don’t know about you, but I’m longing for the sunshine. In a fit of cabin fever after an endless deluge of frozen rain and snow, I brainstormed this quick recipe using pantry ingredients on hand. All you need is a food processor or extraction bullet type blender to make this. Impress your friends or family with your homemade ice cream that just takes enough time to freeze first, then blend. It’s so easy your kids can help out. It’s all about presentation and taste. No one will know it involved two canned pantry items and some flavoring extracts. Make it kid friendly or grown up with a drizzle of dark rum.
I suggest a deep silicone based ice tray like this for portion control and ease. Two deep cubes make a nice serving. When frozen overnight it still has a slight softness due to fats in the coconut milk. This aides in the way it blends ups creamy.
Serve alone or topped with toasted coconut ( unsweetened coconut toasted in a dry skillet until golden). I used banana extract for added flavor. Use vanilla, banana. coconut or pineapple extracts. Instead of dark rum, try Kahlua, banana liquor, or coconut flavored rum.
Here is the recipe.
- 1 can Coconut milk approx. 13.5 oz
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk approx. 14 oz
- 1 tsp banana extract
- Blend cans of coconut milk, condensed milk, and flavoring.
- Pour into ice tray and freeze until firm ( overnight).
- Take a few cubes at a time, as much your blender will permit, and pulse until creamy.
- Serve in frozen glasses.
- Serve with unsweetened toasted coconut, rum, or other liquors (optional)