Giardiniera. It’s a Chicago Thing.

by Courtney on July 15, 2010

Post image for Giardiniera. It’s a Chicago Thing.

I have a co worker who is a self described Giardiniera addict. We could go on and on about it. She’s one of the few kindred spirit’s I have found, that derives pure pleasure in salty acidic relishes. What is Giardiniera you ask? Well prior to coming to Chicago over ten years ago, I had never heard of it. I would get my heat and acid kick from the East Coats versions of crushed peppers on my submarines and cheese steaks, etc.

So naturally with the Mid West’s summer bounty upon us, and my refrigerator running over with heads of organic cauliflower, peppers, celery,carrots and such, it was time to attempt some Giardiniera. For my first attempt it was pretty good. The co-worker expert said it was Freaking Good’“and wanted some more. The beauty of this recipe, is that you use whatever you have laying around. If  you like your Giardiniera mild, add sweet peppers only. If you like some heat and spice go crazy with the Serrano’s and Jalapenos.After all Giardiniera means “Woman Gardener” in Italian.

To Process or Not?

I went ahead and processed mine in a water batch or my dishwasher method, as I was taught  last year). There is some traditional debate on whether this is safe or not (dishwasher method).If you  do a traditional water bath (the safest method), only do so for minimal time (like 3-5 minutes). At first I thought they didn’t seal, but they did the next day. The veg was still nice and crunchy. I still kept all my jars in the fridge to be safe, rather than sorry, and I’m just about out. If you don’t process, consume within 2-3 weeks and store in the refrigerator.

[print_this]

Giardiniera

Makes 5-6 pint sizes

Total time 4 days to process

• 1 head cauliflower
  • 1 bunch celery
  • 4-5 large carrots
  • 2-3 Red or hued sweet peppers
  • 4 Jalapenos or more or less to taste. Not seeded!
  • 4 Serrano’s . Not seeded!
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Italian Herbs mix (dried oregano, basil, etc)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Kosher Salt
  • 1 part Vegetable or Canola oil (to cover)
  • 1 part White Vinegar (to cover)

Preparation

1. Sterilized jars, and lids. 1 pint size
  2. Clean and chop all your vegetables.Be sure to leave seeds from the heat peppers (Jalapenos and Serrano’s). In a non reactive container with lid, our salt  on vegetables and cover with cold water. Cover and store 24 hours in the refrigerator.
  3. Drain salt water. At this point you may rinse if you find the veg salty. I  like salt, so didn’t. It was just fine. In another container mix your 1 part Vinegar to 1 part Oil with the remaining spices. Mix well and make sure its combined or emulsified.
  4. Sterilize Jars and Lids. Pack the vegetables into clean sterilized jars and cover with the oil /vinegar mixture. Seal and either process in a water bath, or store in the refrigerator.
  5. If you process, let rest after process for 12 hour until sealed. If not sealed, follow instructions from jar manufacturer to reprocess, or store immediately in the refrigerator to consume within 2-3 weeks.
  6. Either way , once complete let, the jars rest for at least 2 days until consuming to allow the flavors to merge.

[/print_this]

Suggested Uses:

• Chicago Beef Sandwich
  • Relish Trays
  • Antipasto  trays
  • Pasta Salads
  • Submarines
  • Pizzas
  • Accompaniment to Charcuterie
  • Or just plain out the Jar

Comments Closed

{ 14 comments }

the savvy host July 15, 2010 at 8:10 am

with a little south side italian coursing through our veins, we’re jazzed to try your giardinera recipe! cheers neighbor!

Rosa July 15, 2010 at 8:30 am

I love the new look and banner! That gardiniera looks really good.

Cheers,

Rosa

Peter July 15, 2010 at 8:34 am

Your recipe is very similar to my family’s so – I like it! In this case, the dishwasher should be fine as there is also plenty of salt and vinegar at play here.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen July 15, 2010 at 9:01 am

This looks so great! Roberto and I were just talking about the need to make some soon! – That is once we are harvesting vegetables from our gardens, which should be soon! I love your new blog look!

TreeHugginMomma July 15, 2010 at 9:09 am

So that is what its called. I have loved this all my life. I thought it was a mediteranian dish. I want to know more about the dishwasher method (I don’t have a dishwasher, but I am envisioning putting the jars and lids in the dishwasher and turning it on…). I actually steam can (the way my mums and her mums, and her mums all the way back to her great grandmums did it).

I haven’t had this in ages and now I am thinking I need to go find some.

Jeanne @ CookSister! July 15, 2010 at 10:17 am

Oh I LOVE the new look & the new domain! Congratulations :) Love the recipe too – we had this in Italy with my sister-in-law, on an antipasti platter & LOVED it, especially vinegar king, Nick :)

Courtney July 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

Well some ppl will say that method isn’t safe. But I sterilize my jars and lids, pack, close. The put in an empty dishwasher with no detergent. I run it about 1/2 -3/4 quarters of a full cylcle, Then take out and let rest. A pastry chef instructor taught me this method last year when we made jams, and it works. Now with my more expensive Weck Jars, I used the water bath method.

Courtney July 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

It’s a great recipe that can have many variations.

Janet July 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Wow, I never knew it was this easy- love this stuff! Yours looks delish! BTW, your site looks WAY FAB!

RJ Flamingo July 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I’ve got a mess of veg in the fridge just begging for this treatment! Love it! And love the new look of your blog!

Marie July 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm

My fridge always has 2 bottles in there, hot, (my favorite) and mild. We love the stuff!!! Great job. Your blog is looking so good!

Louise July 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm

WOW! Courtney you don’t fool around. You’ve made the move and it looks just wonderful!!! Congrats to you on your very own domain:)

As for that Giardiniera of yours, it looks lovely. When we were kids, we always made Giardiniera as the summer came to an end. My father use to say in Italian, Giardiniera translated to woman in the garden or “woman gardener” if I remember my Italian:)

Thanks for sharing…

bellini valli July 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

LOVE the new digs!!! A good Italian friend of mine loves Giardiniera so I wait for her to make it:D One day I should surprise her with a jar:D

Lisa July 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hey, love the new look — congrats! And this recipe looks great, too. I’m a huge fan of giardiniera but have never made it myself.

{ 1 trackback }