One of the first posts I ever wrote for my blog years ago,was a sweet potato Churro. I loved the rich flavors of sweet potato and cinnamon , formed into a stove top dough, and deep fried into a crispy treat. Churros originated in Spain and are a beloved treat worldwide, best served warm. Most often you serve them accompanied by a dense hot chocolate. So when several other bloggers and I were asked to to create a recipe from General Mills with a new product from Land O Lakes containing, sugar, cinnamon, and butter I immediately thought of those delicious Churros from years ago. However this time I decided to add pineapple to mix for a more playful twist. And rather than a chocolate sauce accompaniment, I concocted a zesty sweet glaze of reduced white balsamic , honey, and ginger to enhance the sweet potato , pineapple and cinnamon. I’m obsessed with infused Balsamic glazes these days to perk up salads and desserts. And what better product than Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread to use in a Churro, as the basic preparation involves cooking your liquids and butter to a boil, then adding then flour, and eggs to make a dough. similar to a pate a choux. The added sweetness is an extra bonus for the not overly sweet dessert.
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ sugar mixed with cinnamon optional to dust or use Honey Ginger Balsamic Glaze.
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- In a food processor combine water,salt, vanilla,sweet potato and pineapple. Puree until smooth.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan combine the liquid mixture with the Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add flour and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate completely.
- Add beaten eggs and mix quickly until incorporated.
- Normally this dough should form a ball and pull away from the edge of the pan, but the sweet potato mixture makes it a little more sticker to do so. Just be sure your dough is well formed and all ingredients are incorporated fully.
- Add your still warm/hot dough to a durable piping bag with with a star tip.
- Heat vegetable oil in a fry pan or deep fryer. Oil should be very hot at at bubble when tested with a bit of dough.
- Pipe your churros either into long lengths or short ones into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden turning with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar and drizzled Honey Ginger Balsamic Glaze on top.
- Serve warm.
The accompanying Honey Ginger Balsamic Glaze can be used on a variety of recipes. Think savory or sweet.
Honey Ginger White Balsamic Glaze
Combine 3/4 cup White Balsamic Vinegar, 1 1/2 inch of fresh peeled ginger root, 2 tablespoon raw honey, and 1 cinnamon stick. Bring to quick boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until reduced and thickened. Strain mixture and let cool. Store in a squeeze bottle and refrigerate.
For more information on Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread please visit:
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post from General Mills, but all opinions and original recipes are my own.