- Only 1 in 5 steaks qualifies for the Choice program.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are certified by the USDA for quality.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are aged for their tenderness and flavor.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are always packaged fresh.
- Walmart’s USDA Choice steaks come with a 100% money back guarantee . If you aren’t satisfied just bring back your steak for a full refund.
In perusing a few threads, I’m finding people like me were skeptical, and actually are giving the new steaks a try and are seeing the definite improvement. So last week I got to participate in a webinar with award-winning Chef Eric Lackey of The Flamestone American Grill in Olsamar , Florida . He shared a few simple recipes for grilling and steaks for the grilling season. It’s all part of the Walmart Choice Steak Challenge. On the menu were:
- Grilled Beefsteak Tomato with Himalayan Pick Rock Salt Crust
- Grilled Ribeye with Everglades Rub
- Coca- Cola Balsamic Marinated Bermuda Onion
You can see Chef here work his magic and walk through the recipes. My favorite recipe was the rub for the steaks. I didn’t have the Everglades seasoning, but used the coffee based rub recipe as a base. The flavor was awesome and really complemented the NY Strips I used in place of the favored Ribeye. I added halved leeks to the Coco-Cola Balsamic Marinated Bermuda Onions. I found the quality of the steaks very good and better than what I was expecting. Nice marbleizing , thickness and tenderness. And the value was still there. Keep up the good progress Walmart.
|Grilled Ribeye with Everglades Rub|
- 4 Walmart Choice Premium Ribeye Steaks
- 1 head roasted garlic ( roast garlic in oven until golden brown and soft to mash)
- 4 tablespoons Everglades seasoning ( available at Walmart)
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all dry ingredients . Set aside.
- Rub each steak with an equal portion of roasted garlic paste on front and back. To prevent burning, don’t let garlic paste get on the bone.
- Divide and rub seasoning on the four steaks and cover . Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. This can be done a day in advance.
- Preheat the grill until the perfect grilling temperature. ( if using coal until the briquettes are consistently ashed over)
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Place steaks on the grill and leave in one position on direct heat for 4-5 minutes, rotating to get nice grill marks and even flavor profile.Follow this timeline for medium rare.
*Disclosure . Walmart provided two $25 gift cards to try the new Walmart Choice Steaks. My opinions are my own.