I work with Bertolli on occasion and always love to receive new products. Life has been mainly cooking and eating on the run these days.The fast few months the new range of Bertolli Meal Soups for Two have saved many meals and situations , as I have been :
- too tired to cook
- working or catering and not able cook
- Certain Someone has no dinner while I’m away working or zoned out from fatigue.
Even industry people take shortcuts. You know the saying about the cobblers kids having no shoes, the hairdresser having bad hair, etc. While we work for others , we sometimes neglect whats at home. If I had to take a shortcut I love the tasty frozen Bertolli soups. These come excellently packaged with frozen cubes of excellent stock, meat and vegetables. It couldn’t be easier. My favorite was the Italian Wedding. I made this with a quick Kale Caprese Salad of chopped kale, small mozzarella balls, grape tomatoes, pesto , balsamic and oil. Dinner in about 10-15 minutes. Check them out.
Another quick item, stretchable item to make this winter or even for holiday entertaining, that would pair perfectly with a nice soup , bisque or risotto , is a short cut salmon rillette. I found wild sockeye salmon in cans at Costco that’s far superior than any canned salmon I’ve seen. I purchased a small tub of lox trimmings for less than $3 and made this amazing spread. Try it as a tartine on fresh baguette or on tiny crostini. It’s quite addictive.
- 1 6 oz can Wild Sockeye Salmon
- ½ cup lox trimmings or any type pf smoked salmon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon capers packed in salt ( you can use more or less)
- 1 shallot shaved
- 1 fresh baguette
- Combine both types of salmon, spices, lemon, butter and oil in a bowl .
- Pulse with an immersion blender to a paste.
- Gently fold in capers.
- Shave thin slices of shallot.
- Spread salmon paste on bread slices.
- Top with shallots and additional chives.