Here is another recipe I developed , incorporating Old El Paso Traditional Refried Beans.These Latin inspired hand pies, empanada’s, can be filled with many sweet and savory fillings.Using Old El Paso Refried beans with chicken and cheese add an extra creaminess. I used premade empanada dough discs , which can be found in the Latin food freezer section in specialty supermarkets. You can also use a basic premade refrigerated pie dough. Or if you have the time, patience, and skill, try making your own empanada dough. Either way your guests will enjoy these snacks, or even a meal in one. Play with sizes to determine your portions or style of serving. The accompanying sauce has a zesty coolness of cilantro and lime. Perfect for dipping.
Empanada’s can be baked or fried. In this recipe I fried them. If you fry at the optimal temperature( around 350 degrees minimum), the result is perfect and food is not greasy. I love how frying blisters the dough and makes it perfectly crunchy and flakey. If you choose to bake your empanada, bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes on a silicone mat lined baking sheet. Be sure to brush tops with a bit of oil.
So you see the methods and options for empanada’s are endless. Savory, sweet, vegan, meat filled. Enjoy. And remember using a product like Old El Paso Refried beans adds more creaminess and goes with a multitude of filling options.
This is an endorsement of product from General Mills/ Old El Paso in which I developed a few recipes for compensation.
- 10 premade empanada discs or ready made pie crusts cut into rounds( approximately 4 premade rolled crusts)
- 1 cup boiled chicken breast, diced or shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup Old El Paso Traditional refried beans
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying.( amount varies on size of deep fryer or skillet)
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¾ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ small onion minced
- For Empanadas
- Heat deep fryer to 350 º
- In a small bowl mix diced chicken, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Take a small rounded tablespoon of seasoned chicken and place atop disc.
- Add a bit of cheese, and refried beans.
- Do not overstuff.
- Take each end of dough to fold over into half moon shape.
- Seal edges shut by pressing dough together, and then laying down on flat surface and using a fork to press in edges to seal.
- Fry empanadas a few at a time. Do not overcrowd fryer.
- Drain on paper towel. Keep warm on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 200 º oven.
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip
- In a small food processor or bowl/cup of immersion blender, add all sour cream, lime, cilantro, and onion.
- Pulse to blend.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve with empanadas.