It’s that season where I just slide open the patio door and turn up the grill. Even though the weather is trying to find its season. I really love smoked flavor, and have experimented with various ways throughout the years to replicate it, without a proper smoker. The other day at Home Depot, I just gave in and made Certain Someone purchase a Weber Smoker Box and bag of pecan wood. It will have to do until I convince him to get me the Big Green Egg, which I’m coveting after using at a clients home. I’m patient. The smoker box really is effective and proves you can get great flavor with a gas grill. It’s just about technique.
I confess , when the people of Walmart pitched me to try their new category of steaks, I was skeptical. Honestly I really don’t shop at Walmart, and never for food. The main reason is that there aren’t many around me. But Chicago has a few and seems to be expanding.It seems Walmart has done a steak over. It’s about time, as people are getting more selective in the meats they are purchasing. Their previous offerings were a lower priced Select in the white trays. Scott Neal , the VP of fresh meat and seafood is the driving force behind the new range of Choice T-Bones, NY Strips,Filet, Ribeyes, and Top Sirloin that meet the rigorous USDA standards assuring quality and most important safety. These steaks are different by being packaged in Black trays.
- Only 1 in 5 steaks qualifies for the Choice program.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are certified by the USDA for quality.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are aged for their tenderness and flavor.
- Walmart USDA Choice steaks are always packaged fresh.
- Walmart’s USDA Choice steaks come with a 100% money back guarantee . If you aren’t satisfied just bring back your steak for a full refund.
In perusing a few threads, I’m finding people like me were skeptical, and actually are giving the new steaks a try and are seeing the definite improvement. So last week I got to participate in a webinar with award-winning Chef Eric Lackey of The Flamestone American Grill in Olsamar , Florida . He shared a few simple recipes for grilling and steaks for the grilling season. It’s all part of the Walmart Choice Steak Challenge. On the menu were:
- Grilled Beefsteak Tomato with Himalayan Pick Rock Salt Crust
- Grilled Ribeye with Everglades Rub
- Coca- Cola Balsamic Marinated Bermuda Onion
You can see Chef here work his magic and walk through the recipes. My favorite recipe was the rub for the steaks. I didn’t have the Everglades seasoning, but used the coffee based rub recipe as a base. The flavor was awesome and really complemented the NY Strips I used in place of the favored Ribeye. I added halved leeks to the Coco-Cola Balsamic Marinated Bermuda Onions. I found the quality of the steaks very good and better than what I was expecting. Nice marbleizing , thickness and tenderness. And the value was still there. Keep up the good progress Walmart.
- 4 Walmart Choice Premium Ribeye Steaks
- 1 head roasted garlic ( roast garlic in oven until golden brown and soft to mash)
- 4 tablespoons Everglades seasoning ( available at Walmart)
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all dry ingredients . Set aside.
- Rub each steak with an equal portion of roasted garlic paste on front and back. To prevent burning, don't let garlic paste get on the bone.
- Divide and rub seasoning on the four steaks and cover . Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. This can be done a day in advance.
- Preheat the grill until the perfect grilling temperature. ( if using coal until the briquettes are consistently ashed over)
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Place steaks on the grill and leave in one position on direct heat for 4-5 minutes, rotating to get nice grill marks and even flavor profile.Follow this timeline for medium rare.
*Disclosure . Walmart provided two $25 gift cards to try the new Walmart Choice Steaks. My opinions are my own.